Business Hours:
Mon.-Fri. 8.30-17.00 hrs.

Contact The International Law Firm in Bangkok(+66)2 693-2036

Thailand Marriage: How To Get Married in Thailand.

If you are planning to get married in Thailand, you need to be familiar with several processes and the legalities that it entails.

Marriage Registration in Thailand


  1. A child has been born during such period;
  2. The divorced couple remarry;
  3. There is a certificate issued by a qualified doctor who is a lawful physical practitioner in medicine showing that the woman is not pregnant;
  4. There is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry


For Thai Nationals:

For Foreigners:


A marriage can take place on a declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife publicly before the registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar. Giving consent to the marriage may be made by:


An application for registration for marriage can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple. If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card. If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office or Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 400 Baht is required by the ministry .


Foreigners who wish to marry must appear in person with their respective passports and arrival card at their Embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that he/she is single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law and the registration shall be effected by a Thai Diplomatic or Consular Officer.

  1. Take the completed declaration to a reputable translation office to have the contents of the declaration translated into Thai.
  2. The documents together with translation and copies of passports have to be taken to the Legalisation Division of the Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This normally takes 2 days. The documents and translation are then ready for submission to the District Registrar who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate in Thai in accordance with and following the procedure led down in Thai Law.



Family Lawyer in Lad Prao, Bangkok

The family law in Thailand is fairly straightforward. Foreigners must first obtain clearance from their respective embassies.

M & S Law Office 20006 can help co-ordinate the procurement of official documents from the embassy and have them translated and legalized quickly with minimum problems. Familiarity with the formalities of a Thai marriage, access to qualified translators, and an understanding of the legalization process reduce the likelihood of delays or complications.

Our law firm provides full legal services throughout Thailand including the key business cities such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiangmai and Phuket.

Let us help you by calling us at (+66)2 693-2036 or send email via or send us enquiry.



Related Legal Services

Thailand Prenuptial Agreement

Prenuptial Agreement

Difficult as it may be to talk about such things before marriage in Thailand, doing so can save heartache and difficulties in future between you and your partner. A prenuptial agreement in ....

Divorce in Thailand

Divorce in Thailand

Understand legal divorce in Thailand: who may get one, where and how, with an explanation of the simple divorce by mutual consent available to couples married in Thailand. A divorce by mutual consent in Thailand is fairly easy to obtain; any other type of divorce can be more complicated...

Thailand Property in Divorce

Property in Divorce

Under Thai Law, properties during divorce may fall into two types; Sin Suan Tua as separate property & Sin Somros as marital property. Sin Suan Tua - considered as property to a marriage...

Child Custody in Thailand

Child Custody

Child custody disputes between parents can arise in the course of a divorce case, or between unmarried parents. Under Thailand law, both parents of a child have full custodial rights. However, legal issues often surround the finding of paternity. In other words, Thailand law requires that a father be the “legal” parent...

Adoption in Thailand


Under Thai law there are strict procedures and requirements for the adoption of children. It is advisable that you recheck the current law to as some of these requirements are currently under review ...


Need Answers? Send US

Follow us on